Suicide What You Need To Know
Information from CDC and suicide prevention sites
- In New Mexico, one person dies by suicide every 16 hours.
- In 2020, New Mexico lead the nation in suicide rates with 536 deaths by suicide.
- In 2018 48.344 Americans died by suicide .
- In the U.S., suicide rates are highest during the spring.
- On average, 1 person commits suicide every 12 minutes.
- On average, there are 132 suicides per day.
- Each suicide intimately affects at least 6 other people.
- About 2/3 of people who complete suicide are depressed at the time of their deaths. Depression that is untreated, undiagnosed, or ineffectively treated is the number 1 cause of suicide.
- There is 1 suicide for every 25 attempted suicides.
- Males make up 79% of all suicides, while women are more prone to having suicidal thoughts.
- 1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year.
- 90% of people who die by suicide had shown symptoms of a mental health condition, according to interviews with family, friends and medical professionals.
- 1 in 100,000 children ages 10 to 14 die by suicide each year. (NIMH)
- 7 in 100,000 youth ages 15 to 19 die by suicide each year. (NIMH)
- 12.7 in 100,000 young adults ages 20-24 die by suicide each year. (NIMH)
- The prevalence of suicidal thoughts, suicidal planning and suicide attempts is significantly higher among adults aged 18-29 than among adults aged 30+. (CDC)
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for 15 to 24 year old Americans. (CDC)
- Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death for adults ages 18-65. (CDC)
- The highest increase in suicide is in males 50+ (30 per 100,000). (CDC)
- Suicide rates for females are highest among those aged 45-54 (9 per 100,000). (CDC)
- Suicide rates for males are highest among those aged 75+ (36 per 100,000). (CDC)
- Suicide rates among the elderly are highest for those who are divorced or widowed. (SMH)
- Over 50% of all suicides are completed with a firearm.
- Lesbian, gay, and bisexual kids are 4x more likely than straight kids to attempt suicide at some point in their lives.(NAMI)
- Transgender adults are nearly 12x more likely to attempt suicide than the general population.
It takes a lot of courage to help someone who is suicidal. Witnessing a loved one dealing with thoughts about ending his or her own life can stir up many difficult emotions. As you’re helping a suicidal person, don’t forget to take care of yourself. Find someone that you trust—a friend, family member, clergyman, or counselor—to talk to about your feelings and get support of your own.
Local 575-305-HOT1 (4681)
Text GO to 741741